School Bus Safety
Meeting the bus
1. Arrive at your scheduled stop at least 10 minutes to scheduled arrival time.
2. Stay at least 10 feet away from all streets.
3. Before crossing a street or road to enter the bus, wait until the bus has come to a complete stop and the driver given you directions.
4. Respect the property rights of others while waiting for the bus. Do not litter or damage property.
5. Stand back at least ten feet from the bus stop and do not approach the bus until it has come to a complete stop and the door is opened.
6. If you miss the bus do not try to ride another bus to school.
Entering and leaving the bus
1. Students will board and depart the bus only at their assigned stops.
2. Enter and leave the bus quickly and in an orderly manner. Do not enter or leave the school bus by the back door unless in an emergency as directed by the driver.
3. If you must cross the street after leaving the bus in the afternoon, go to the point on the shoulder of the street ten feet in front of the bus and wait until the driver has signaled you to cross.
4. If you drop any object (book, paper, pencil) while leaving the bus, do not attempt to retrieve the object until the bus has left and the streets clear of other vehicles.
Stop for Flashing Lights!
1. Motorists are reminded that it is illegal to pass a stopped school bus whenever its red lights are flashing, as students are present.
2. Drivers face fines and other penalties if found to be passing a school bus when the flashing lights are on or the stop sign is extended.