August 4, 2020
Dear Julia Lee Moore Family,
Below you will find information regarding our plans to start the school year at Julia Lee Moore Elementary School.
School Hours of Operation:
- Front Doors Open
- Students go straight to the classroom
- Breakfast students go to the cafeteria
- Instruction starts at 7:45
- Car Rider/Walkers
- Bus Riders @ 3:30
- All students should be picked up no later than 3:30 every day
- Students in elementary school ARE required to wear face coverings at this time.
- All staff members are required to wear masks.
- Our staff will teach our students how to follow proper social distancing protocols in all aspects of our building.
- We ask that you do not drop students off until 7:45 each day to help ensure we can maintain social distancing practices.
- All students will report to their homerooms when they arrive on campus at 7:45 - unless they eat breakfast.
- Students who eat breakfast at school will go to the cafeteria and social distancing will be implemented.
- JLM Staff will be on duty to help get students where they need to go each morning.
- All school breakfasts will be served by food service staff behind the serving line unless the food item is already completely wrapped/enclosed (i.e. students will select their milk from the milk cooler). All school breakfasts will be served on disposable trays and disposable utensils will be used.
- Students will still eat in the cafeteria every day for lunch.
- We will only serve one grade level at a time.
- Students will be seated facing the same direction when possible.
- We will skip one seat in between each student.
- All school lunches will be served by food service staff behind the serving line unless the food item is already completely wrapped/enclosed (i.e. students will select their milk from the milk cooler). All school lunches will be served on disposable trays and disposable utensils will be used.
- At this time, lunch visitors will not be allowed.
- We ask that all parents remain in their car for pick up.
- Your child will walk to a number and wait for you to pull all the way up to them.
- Please pull your vehicle all the way to the front of the car line or as far as possible.
- Students should enter the car on the passenger side only. This will help ensure the safety of your child. Please make seating arrangements to accommodate this.
- The center section of the parking lot will be closed off each afternoon.
- We highly discourage walk up pick up this year.
- Students will sit in the hallways spread out and they will wait until their name is called to leave.
- Walkers will be asked to walk out the front door of the building at 3:00.
- A teacher will walk students across the street each afternoon at the crosswalk.
- All daycare riders will be dismissed to go to the old PE room at 3:00 to wait for their ride.
- Bus students will remain in their classroom until it is time to go to the cafeteria at 3:30.
- Bus students will be spread out while waiting in the cafeteria.
- All kindergarteners and their siblings will be picked up in the back parking lot. These students will wait in the cafeteria for their name to be called out.
- All classrooms will be set up with social distancing practices in mind.
- Every effort will be made to provide distance but not limit students’ ability to interact and communicate with others in their classroom.
- Supplies and materials will not be readily shared by students.
- Cleaning supplies that meet regulations will be provided for each classroom so desks and other classroom areas can be sanitized throughout the school day.
Field Trips and Assemblies:
- Off campus field trips will be temporarily suspended until regulations change but teachers will be utilizing virtual field trips with their classes.
- All school assemblies will take place by school-wide “live” streaming while students remain in their classrooms.
- Students will go to all activity teacher classrooms.
- Activity classes will be sanitized after one class exits and before another class enters.
- Where possible, there will be “one-way” student traffic in the hallways in order to decrease crowding and student congregating.
- In other areas, traveling on the right side of the hallway will continue, with student transitions being staggered as much as possible.
- Our teachers will take alternate routes when traveling to a different location (when possible). An example of this would be walking outside to PE instead of walking in the hallway.
- We encourage (but cannot require) that our students wear masks during transition times.
- Students will still continue to have outside recess (weather permitting).
- Recesses have been designed so that no recess overlaps with another grade level.
- All push bar water fountains will be turned off.
- Students are encouraged to bring water bottles to school each day.
- Each school will have two bottle fillers for students to utilize for their reusable water bottles.
- Screening questions for all include:
- Have you had a fever of 100.4 degrees or higher in the last 2 days?
- Have you had a cough, difficulty breathing, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell?
- Have you been in contact with a person known to be infected with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days?
- If the answer to these questions is yes please stay home and call the office to let us know.
- Staff will self-screen before coming to school.
- Parents will screen their own children before sending them to school.
- Visitors are only allowed into the waiting area outside the front office.
- Disinfecting and sanitizing are continually a high priority with even more attention to high touch surfaces and restrooms.
- Electrostatic foggers have been purchased and will be used daily to take care of viruses on floors and touch surfaces.
- Time will be protected for hand washing/sanitizing.
- Students will be asked to sanitize their hands each time they leave and enter a new space.
- Orientation will be virtual this year. Administrator and teacher videos will be created and shared with families.
Thank you for your continued support and trust!!! We look forward to a great school year! We will do our best to keep you informed with the latest information.
Kenny Clark, Principal